How to set up and use a proxy?
A proxy is a computer or module that acts as an intermediary between a web browser and the Internet. On the Internet, there are different types of proxy. The most common are HTTP proxy. They support HTTP and FTP protocols
Proxy servers are used in particular to optimize Web performance by storing copies of often used web pages and to enhance security by filtering certain Web content and malware. Proxy servers also increase user anonymity.
How a proxy server works ?
The use of proxy is common to access a site reserved for certain IP addresses, or to escape the HTTP filter of his company or to surf in anonymous mode.
For example, I’m at work and during my 10am break, I want to go for a little tour on Facebook, impossible to display the page, because my company has just had a firewall installed which prohibits me access Facebook. Hop, I’m going through a little proxy and I can finally see my notifications.
Here is an HTTP Request without proxy
By typing an address as https://www.funinformatics.com/index.php, your computer will connect to the server www.funinformatics.com and request the index.php page.
HTTP request with proxy
When using a proxy, when you type https://www.funinformatics.com/index.php, your computer will connect to the proxy and ask it to search for the page on the server www.funinformatics. com.
How to use a proxy ?
We will see in this article how to use a proxy under the different Internet browsers Explorer, Firefox and Chrome in order to change and modify its IP address
Nothing could be simpler to use a proxy. I offer you two methods:
- The first method is on the manual configuration of the proxy
- The second consists of using the AnonymoX extension
1) Manual configuration of the Proxy
Proxy with a Firefox browser
To manually configure a proxy under Firefox, nothing could be simpler.
- Go to Firefox, click Tools, Options, click on the advanced tab and the Network tab.
Then click on the parameters button: You should have the following window on the screen:
- In the Connection Settings window, click the circle next to the Manual configuration field of the proxy. Enter the IP address of your proxy and the port. In general, proxy are given as IP: Port address (example: 22.214.171.124:80).
Here it is finished, you are OK and test your proxy.
Proxy with a Chrome browser and Internet Explorer
If you have a Google Chrome or Internet Explorer browser :
- Go to Chrome, click the menu icon at the top right, then click Settings -> display the advanced parameters (located at the bottom of the page).
- In the network section, click Edit Proxy Parameters. Choose the “Connections” tab and click “Network settings” for the configuration of the proxy port.
Now check “use a proxy server for your LAN”. Click the Advanced button to open the window to open the ports. Finally, enter the IP address of your proxy and the port.
The only downside of this method is to find a good valid, efficient and reliable proxy. But as I am nice, I make it easier for you and I give you the site that I use regularly to find efficient proxy servers. It’s freeproxylists.com. It is pretty well done. Just choose a proxy list that interests you from the proposed list.
2) Use of the AnonymoX extension
For the first method, we will use an extension called AnonymoX
This extension establishes connections for your sites through proxy located in different countries (USA, England, Germany…etc).
AnonymoX is available free of charge for Firefox and Chrome. It offers you the possibility of navigating the canvas anonymously by assigning a virtual IP address. The connection is fast and it avoids having to look for proxys.
To use it, start by downloading and installing the extension dedicated to your browser:
When restarting, you have an additional icon in the menu bar of your web browser. It is from this icon that you can activate the proxy server and choose the country of your proxy, as shown in the image below:
Here is! You can now surf anonymously, in total freedom and without censorship.
Advantage of a proxy
A proxy can have several advantages.
- The proxy make you anonymous by masking your IP address, you no longer appear with your own IP address
- The Proxy hides the most requested pages to speed up your navigation
- The proxy provides access to unaccessible pages by escaping the http filter.
- The proxy gives you the opportunity to navigate blocked websites in your country
Disadvantage of a proxy
- As you go through the proxy, then the latter will know all your passwords (unless you are using HTTPS / SSL).
- The proxy can modify the pages on the fly before giving them to you, for example, it can add an advertisement to a site you have consulted.
- Some proxy can be configured to censor sites.
Good a proxy it remains fairly practical, you just have to choose a proxy and have confidence in the server administrator. You can now test whether or not your Proxy works using this website: www.ipaddresslocation.org, and if you have problems, questions or suggestions regarding Proxy, please do not hesitate to ask them in the comments !